Shhhh….Don’t say it too loud, but I think winter is finally over!! As if that isn’t enough of a reason to celebrate, the Just for Kids area has a few more for you as we move into our spring Makerspace programs! First, we are celebrating National Robotics Week April 6-April 11 with a Take and Make project for families. Be sure to check out the National Robotics Week website (http://www.nationalroboticsweek.org/) for some more ideas, activities and online resources. Next up is National Library Week from April 12th – April 18th! We are also celebrating Drop Everything and Read Month this week. So what we would love for you to do is come in to the library, find a great book and a comfy spot and read for ten minutes to show us how much you love your library! If you are caught reading, you will earn a special certificate and surprise! We will also have a “I Got Caught Reading” photo booth for you to take your very own library selfie! Our third celebration is our annual Children’s Book Week event from May 3rd through the 9th. This year we are asking families to come in anytime from April 27th – May 2nd to create a personal robot to display and get a packet of gears. Your task will be to collect people’s favorite children’s book on the gears and bring them in to feed your robot! Al families will receive a participation prize and the top 3 families with the most gears for their robot will earn a special reward.
All spring we will be focused on creating and being a makerspace for our patrons. For our younger preschool group, we have the Book Nerds Reading Club and companion story time. On Monday afternoons kids ages 4 and up can drop in between 4:30 and 6pm to be a part of Maker Mondays. Each week there will be materials for kids to use to create in the library and a project to take home. We also have Bricks 4 Kidz coming to do a few Tuesday evening programs for us. In addition , we also have book discussions for kids in grade K-2 and grades 3-5. Please see the Events Calendar for a complete list and information regarding registration for our programs. Thanks and we can’t wait to see you at the library!
- The Just For Kids Area will close one hour prior to the upstairs Monday through Thursday (7pm). However, we will be open during applicable library hours on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- Young children should be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Please call 294-6606 ext.104 if you are unable to make a program you pre-registered for. There could be a waiting list.
- If your child has stayed home from school due to illness, please do not bring them to the library.
- Children’s areas of the library are expressly for children and their caregivers.
- In case of inclement weather, please call ahead to see if the library is open or holding scheduled programs.